Tuesday, November 20, 2012

International Transgender Day of Remembrance

Good morning! Today, I am posting something a bit more serious and a bit more personal. First off, let me say, that this will be a lengthy post, and a teeny bit on the ranty side. If you would rather not take part, then feel free to hit that little X in the top right corner of your screen. Otherwise, welcome to the International Transgender Day of Remembrance.



Before I get all heavy on you guys, I want to share the mani I did for the memorial. I tried to keep it simple, and do a dotted abstract flame.


I used Essie Play Date for the base and layered Takko Lacquer Kiss the Sky on top. After that, I used my new dotting tools to create a "flame."

Now you may be wondering why I chose to take part in this. For me, it is a bit personal. I briefly mentioned in my Pride Nails post that I hold the LGBT community very close to my heart, as I am a part of it. I have never fit into that box labeled "GIRL." I also have not fit into that box labeled "STRAIGHT." I spent most of my life struggling with those boxes, and eventually came to a point where I stopped trying to fit into them and started being myself. Which may sound silly, but for someone who is in that grey area between gender identity, it's a lot harder than you think. I am a girl (and generally speaking, identify with being one), but during my life, I have identified with both genders. I have dressed as a boy, had only male friends, dated girls, dated boys, and wondered where did I fit in? I'll spare you the gory details, but I finally found my place when I was 28 yrs old & am finally happy and content.

For some, it's a hard road to go down. For some, they don't live to see that day. Which, in the end, is what this is all about. If you are different, and don't conveniently fit into these boxes, society has a way of sticking you in a different sort of box, and either views you as dangerous or a freak. This is how hate crimes happen. This is how suicides happen. And it needs to stop. Every single person has value and every life is important. Labels and boxes do nothing but create division and hatred.
 
I encourage everyone to read this article in the NY Times. It can express more than I ever could, and maybe open the eyes of those who are so fond of boxes and labels.

Now, go check out all the other wonderful, beautiful people participating!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful job... And thank you so much for sharing so much about yourself. You are a wonderful, fabulous human being. <3 :)

    (the article you linked to is one of my favorites, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. Boxes are small tight places, can one really fit? I think not!! I'm off to read that article, great mani by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nails and the beautiful words. Thank you for sharing something so powerful and close to your heart! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yes, I'm just now seeing this. Lol I am getting caught up on bloglovin and clocked through from your pride day mani.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love for you to leave a comment or ask a question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...