Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sephora by OPI - Betsey Johnson Collection

Along with the Pantone Universe set, I recently picked up this limited edition Sephora by OPI Betsey Johnson polish sample set. If you aren't aware, the incredibly wild & talented fashion designer, Betsey Johnson, has declared bankruptcy. I have always loved her designs & spent my fair share of time ogling her amazing line of shoes. I think she is an amazing designer & part of it is the color palette he often works with. Sephora by OPI released a whole line of full sized polishes inspired by her eye catching color palettes along with this sample set of 6 mini polishes.

XOX Betsey, Alley Cat, Too Too Turq, Yellow My Name is Betsey, Son of a Gun, & Pushing Your Luck


XOX Betsey

XOX Betsey is a soft pink nude cream. I loved this color in the bottle, but on my nails, I wasn't so much of a fan. It's too pale & desaturated for my skin tone. I wish it would have been a jelly finish, it would have given the color so much more depth. The formula was a bit streaky on the first two coats, it took 4 total to even everything out & look smooth. Other than that, it was fine, not too thick & good dry time.


Alley Cat

A deep magenta with a slight gold shimmer (although the shimmer is so so subtle that I didn't see it until after I took the swatch picture & caught a flash in the sun light). Better than what I expected. I'm usually not a fan of colors like these, but it looked really pretty after all. Good formula & application. 3 coats for perfect coverage.



Too Too Turq

This is one of the colors exclusive to the set, a very saturated turquoise blue with a bit of teal shimmer. I so wanted the shimmer to be noticeable! It's very apparent in the bottle, but just barely there on the nail, but it is so pretty! Definitely my favorite color of the set. Same as Alley Cat, formula wise, 3 coats on this one as well.

Yellow My Name is Betsey

First off, sorry the dark picture (my camera battery died while swatching & had to re shoot later in the afternoon, boo). Yellow My Name is Betsey, is a soft, bright yellow cream. No, it's not exactly a unique yellow, but it is a good color & I don't think you could have a Betsey Johnson set without having a yellow color. This one is another exclusive as well. Similar application to XOX, Betsey, as far as streaking goes. 4 coats as well, just to even out the streaks.




Son of a Gun

A blue toned, gun metal grey with small silver fleck glitter & a smattering of hologram micro glitter (again, not enough for my taste, but just enough to make you notice). This is  an unexpected color for me. I am not a girl who wears dark colors, but I love this grey. It is a lot more vibrant than I was expecting, definitely has that Betsey touch. The last exclusive of the set & a close runner up for my favorite. A bit on the thin side, but the glitter built up nicely with each coat, 4 total.




Pushing Your Luck

If you bottled up Betsey's signature lipstick, this would be the color. Bright, saturated, true red. I can honestly say, that this is the first red I have had in my stash for a long, long time. But like the yellow, it is a good red, not too dark & vampy, not too pink & washed out. Just red. Good application & formula, 3 coats for full coverage.


Overall, I like the set. I think it is a bit overpriced for a set of six mini's ($24.50 on Sephora.com), but seeing how three are exclusive to the set, I'm not too opposed to paying a little more. Out of all the colors, I think these represent the essence of Betsey's style; girlie & glam all in one set.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love for you to leave a comment or ask a question.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...